The 5th Annual Power Walk for Dress for Success raised funds in Los Angeles for women in need.

Photos by Sheng-te Yang

Sometimes work can save our lives. “In order to gain employment and become self-sufficient, it is critical that women are also healthy and well! said Reena De Asis, Director of Dress for Success Worldwide-West.

Dress for Success Worldwide-West has a mission “to promote the economic independence of women by providing professional attire, a network of support, and the career development tools to help women thrive in work and in life.”

In September, LA YOGA was the media sponsor the 5th annual Power Walk for Dress for Success Worldwide-West fundraiser and health fair held at Griffith Park. Corporate teams and individuals collectively raised more than $24,000 for their walk through the park. Many were joined by their pooches for the 5K trek; and in keeping with the event’s theme to Honor Your Superhero, a number of attendees even sported suitable costumes. Celebrity trainer Tracy Anderson led the pre-walk warm-up with moves from the Tracy Anderson Method. Professor Samambaia and the Capoeira Batuque group mesmerized the crowd with a capoeira demo, and LA YOGA editor Felicia Tomasko shared a post-walk stretch. If you’re inspired by the mission, you can still donate online at:dfspowerwalk.org/losangeles. Dress for Success Worldwide-West accepts contribution of business clothes and briefcases, money, and time (through volunteers).  

Brenda is an LA-based success story. She says, “As an unemployed single mother of twin boys, I was going through a difficult time financially and emotionally and did not have money for new clothes.  My self-esteem was low, I was nervous because I wasn’t prepared for my job interview, and I didn’t even know how to dress professionally. I was referred to Dress for Success Worldwide-West for a suiting where the volunteers’ positive words and caring personalities gave me the confidence and motivation I needed for the interview. Not just that, but I got the job and then immediately joined the Professional Women’s Group (PWG)… I have learned that setting professional goals will lead me to financial independence and personal satisfaction.”

For more information, visit worldwidewest.dressforsuccess.org

Photographer Sheng-te Yang can be found at: yangphotography.com

Stay Informed & Inspired

Stay informed and inspired with the best of the week in Los Angeles, etc. and more ...

Stay informed & Inspired

Stay Informed & Inspired

Stay informed and inspired with the best of the week in Los Angeles, etc. and more ...

Stay informed & Inspired