Barack Obama

Manifest Hope was involved in creating the now-famous HOPE with an image of Obama posters by artist Shepard Fairey, and together they developed the Manifest Hope show. They were looking for contemporary works of art related to the spirit of what Barack Obama represents for this country, so I created a portrait to capture the incredible momentum Obama has gathered. I’ve been focusing lately on mastering traditional techniques for portraiture that I am applying in other original works I’m developing in the studio. As I added the layers of oil paint the expression on Obama’s face seemed to come to life before me. Once completed, it was accepted and flown to Denver to be part of the Manifest Hope Gallery exhibition.

The show featured work gathered around the ideas of change, unity and progress and as one of the artists involved, I felt this powerful sense of connection and contribution. It’s unusual to participate in something that gathers so many different creative voices to express a common set of themes. I felt the challenge of the show’s mission on a personal level and participated because I think it can make a collective difference. Like many others, I hope we as a society make the conscious decision to change, to turn away from violence, plunder, excess, negligence and oppression.

I’ve always struggled with the question of whether art can really make a difference, and through my involvement in this unusual show with amazing artists, and at this particular time in history, I believe it is truly possible.

For more info, a virtual exhibition, to bid on any of the artwork and to see where the exhibit may travel next, visit: manifesthope.com.

Julie Adler is a multi-genre artist living in Los Angeles, a graduate of Cooper Union (NY) and California Institute of the Arts. She is also a certified Iyengar yoga teacher and producer of the radio show and website The Tibet Connection. julieadler.com

By Julie Adler 

Stay Informed & Inspired

Stay informed and inspired with the best of the week in Los Angeles, etc. and more ...

Stay informed & Inspired

Stay Informed & Inspired

Stay informed and inspired with the best of the week in Los Angeles, etc. and more ...

Stay informed & Inspired