Lisa Firefly Johnston

Photo of Lisa at El Matador State Beach by David Young -Wolff. Lisa is wearing clothing by Iron Lily

What is your current go-to self-practice?
I like to mix things up by adding resistance and HIIT training into my personal practice. I usually integrate the use of the TRX suspension trainer, a kettle bell, or both. I’ve found that the TRX is an incredible tool, especially when combined with yoga!

Where do you teach?
I teach at Cal State University Northridge and at Prema Yoga in Granada Hills. I also teach privates and travel to teach workshops.

How do your students inspire you?
I get really excited when my students “catch the vision” and fall in love with the practice. Once they see how yoga has changed their lives for the better, they want to bring yoga to their friends and families as well. Yoga students often become yoga evangelists.

Where do you enjoy going to take class?
When I have time, I like taking Linda Suffin’s classes at Inner Power Yoga in Woodland Hills. Linda’s classes are playful and creative and leave you feeling energized.

Who are some of the teachers that inspire you and why?
I love and admire Gina Caputo! She is an incredibly gifted teacher who has made is her personal mission to educate and empower yoga teachers (and yogis in general) to discover their own unique voice, and be true to themselves, and thereby inspire their students to do the same. She is also hilarious!

What are three books that are currently on your nightstand? 
I’m a bit of a nerd and I love nonfiction. I’m currently reading:
Bodyweight Strength Training Anatomy by Bret Contreras
Mindset by Carol S Dweck, PhD
Think like a Freak by Steven D Levitt & Stephen J Dubner

Where are some places you love to go in LA to decompress and de-stress?
I love going to the beach, whether to play in the water or just lay on the sand. I always feel recharged after spending time at El Matador or Point Dume! I also like receiving Thai Massages to work out all of the knots.

What do you consider to be a hidden treasure in LA? 
Grand Central Market! It’s an old funky place that has been re-energized in downtown LA. It features many hip and up-and-coming eateries amid more established favorites. You can do some grocery shopping while you are there and even pick up some authentic Mexican mole to add to your own cooking later.

Learn more about Lisa Johnston at Lisafirefly.com

Photos by David Young-Wolff.

Clothing by Iron Lily 

Stay Informed & Inspired

Stay informed and inspired with the best of the week in Los Angeles, etc. and more ...

Stay informed & Inspired

Stay Informed & Inspired

Stay informed and inspired with the best of the week in Los Angeles, etc. and more ...

Stay informed & Inspired