Iyengar Archive

Archive photos courtesy of the Iyengar Yoga National
Association of the United States, with the assistance of Eddy Marks, San Diego

Whenever one thinks about a famous personality or world figure, there is the perception that they are so famous and so busy that they couldn’t possibly be available for consultation, advice, mentorship or any other personal relationship. Fortunately for those of us who have had the privilege of studying directly with B.K.S. Iyengar, our experience has been just the opposite.

I met Mr. Iyengar through his book, Light on Yoga. It was so rich in detail, history, philosophy, direction and inspiration, that I knew I had finally met my teacher. At the time, I was studying with Indra Devi, one of the first women that Mr. Iyengar had accepted as a student. After many discussions of his book, she recommended that I try to make contact. Of course, in those days that was difficult. I continued to study using the book as if I had Mr. Iyengar with me.

Imagine the thrill when I learned that he would be teaching in Berkeley, California, in 1974. Of course the class was oversold and I was told not to bother making the trip. I went anyway, bringing my torn and battered book. He took compassion on me. As I was sitting in the hall looking through the door, he invited me in and I monitored the class.

The next day, I was used as a model for the medical therapy portion and given a sequence to do at home by marking asanas in the book. He invited me to come to Pune, India when I was able, so he could see the progress I was making in dealing with the effects of multiple sclerosis. It took over a year and a half, but there I was and I have been his student ever since.
No matter how elevated or famous a teacher is, you are still dealing with a man.

A man who is subject to all the trials and tribulations, the passions and disappointments, the joys and sadness of raising children, needing to make a living and follow the disciplines of practicing and teaching. What impressed me from the very beginning of becoming B.K.S.’s student was the intensity of his teaching. He holds nothing back nor monitors his attention to insure that you receive every part and parcel of his amazing knowledge.

When in Pune you are part of his family. You see him interact with his children and grandchildren. You witness the continuum that Geeta-ji and Parchant-ji are carrying on and their adoration of him not only as the head of that family and their mentor, but as a prime example of all that a man should be. Guruji gives unbending in his expectation of what one is capable of attaining. There is a constant edge of challenge. There is that piercing look that goes right through your bones, touching your very core of resistance. It’s mano e mano with compassion.

You shake, you sweat, you do. Yet you dare not congratulate yourself upon completing a standing drop-over in front of him. You wait until you are walking back to your hotel then stop in the middle of the sidewalk and slap your thigh, give a whoop and a little hop, and continue on your way with a big smile from ear to ear.

After reaching the level of proficiency that satisfied his expectations, Guru-ji directed me to begin teaching others like myself who are dealing with multiple sclerosis. My life’s path spread before me, and I have followed it without hesitation. What a gift to be able to be of service, to guide and teach and most importantly to bring honor to my teacher.

It was a giant step into the future. There were successes and failures, but there he was encouraging, advising, revising lesson plans, always at the ready to be supportive. Today, the adaptive yoga program for the M.S. Society has spread across the United States with Achievement Centers featuring yoga programs based on his teachings.

There is much talk about the footprint a man leaves behind, the legacy of a lifetime, the imparting of universal knowledge. I am very honored and humbled to say that I am following in the footprints of a truly great man.

Stay Informed & Inspired

Stay informed and inspired with the best of the week in Los Angeles, etc. and more ...

Stay informed & Inspired

Stay Informed & Inspired

Stay informed and inspired with the best of the week in Los Angeles, etc. and more ...

Stay informed & Inspired