It’s a chilly 64 and sunny on Christmas Eve in LA. Surfers wear Santa hats at the Sunset Boulevard break. Bartenders in WeHo review naughty and nice lists. And everyone is talking about the latest from a local legend.

Yes, Cherlato is Coming to town.

Drop Top Sleigh Ride

“It’s no secret that I absolutely love ice cream and gelato”  Cher admitted, “When I tasted Giapo’s gelato while on tour in Auckland it was the best I’d ever had.”

Giapo Grazioli is accredited with what his wife Anna Rosa calls, “the third narrative of ice cream.” It is a craft perfected in New Zealand over 18 years. After meeting Cher while she was on her “Here We Go Again” tour in 2018, the two decided to create something special together. The artisan explains, “Cher and I had hundreds of Zoom calls. As all of these plans were finally taking shape and everything was looking nice, Covid came.  So we made a turn and said, ‘This project has to be something that gives hope to people, and we should start from a truck so it can deliver optimism.”

Colorful Truck, pink and orange

Run Run Rudolph ~ Cherlato Truck Making Waves In Venice Beach c. Cherlato

Put A Little Holiday In Your Heart

The Cherlato Truck has been seen spreading cheer on Abbott Kinney, Melrose, and Third Street. As well as at The Abbey, The Bungalow, The Pier, The Venice Beach Boardwalk, LA LIVE, and even the Hallmark Channel HQ.

Cherlato at Hallmark HQ

Staffers Enjoy Cherlato (and Cher’s Xmas Tunes) at the Hallmark HQ.

Curious customers marvel at flavors like, “Snap Out of It! Kefir & Cardamom” a nod to Cher’s Oscar-winning role in Moonstruck. And “Chocolate XO Cher” which ideated from her 1974 pop hit, “Dark Lady.” Angelenos ask about a favorite, “Cher’s mom’s cheesecake.” Giapo smiles warmly, “That’s an original recipe that Cher’s mom [Georgia Holt] used to make at Christmas parties at home. When Cher made me a preview of this recipe, it was handwritten by Cher’s mom.”

Cherlato truck interior, people with baseball caps

Giapo and Team serving up Cherlato to Excited Angelenos. c. Cherlato

This season, the evolving menu boasts Winter classics like Gingerbread and Peppermint Candy Cane. Of course the CFDA-winning fashion icon includes a little glitz and glam. You can opt for having your Cherlato in a gold cone. (We’re wondering if Bob Mackie designed it!)

Cherlato gold ice cream cone with donut

“Breakfast at Cher’s Donuts & Coffee” in gold c. Cherlato

Please Come Home For Christmas

The 77-year-old yogi, who graciously walks onto the world’s stages singing the Gayatri Mantra is conscious of eating clean. For her plant-based friends and fans, Cher and Giapo created, “I LOVE LA” a vegan favorite in Laker’s gold + purple. The menu also includes other seasonal edits.

Cherlato thoughtfully sources from small farm partners and LA markets. Their serving cups, trays, spoons, and napkins are recyclable and made with sustainable materials.

gelato selfies

“I LOVE LA” and LA loves Cherlato c. Cherlato

Cher tells LA Yoga Magazine, “Giapo explained his process to me of the highest quality of ingredients, organic fruits, artistry, and the need to have the freshest and tastiest ice cream. He has brought all of this to Cherlato. We are both so passionate about our love for ice cream. We are so proud of the response wherever we go in LA.”

This Will Be Our Year

At the Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade Cher sang her latest single, “DJ Play a Christmas Song.” It hit #1 on the Billboard charts a few weeks later, making the Kennedy Center honoree the only solo artist to have a #1 song in each of the last six decades.

Giapo in Cherlato Truck Yellow

Giapo (and Cher) c. Cherlato

We talked to Giapo not long after this who said, “The experience for me has been humbling. I am a normal person, I’m an artisan. I am in awe. What I really like about working with Cher is that even though she’s such a high caliber artist, she’s still a human being and she loves the same thing that we do. She likes to have a great ice cream and laughter, And the more you stay close, the more you understand how she has been able to be who she is for the past 60 years of her career. It’s very inspiring.”

Are you Hungry for More Cher or Cherlato?

To find the Cherlato Truck, follow it on IG here.

To book the Cherlato Truck for your next event, learn more here.

You can find Cher’s new album, Christmas on Spotify and iTunes.

To follow Giapo, find him on IG here.

Stay Informed & Inspired

Stay informed and inspired with the best of the week in Los Angeles, etc. and more ...

Stay informed & Inspired

Stay Informed & Inspired

Stay informed and inspired with the best of the week in Los Angeles, etc. and more ...

Stay informed & Inspired