While many people may know him as the Godfather of Bhakti Fest, Sridhar Silberfein has a long and storied history in the spirituality and health and wellness communities. He arranged to have Swami Satchidananda on stage at Woodstock to lead the Western world’s first mass Sanskrit chanting.

Since the 1970s, one of the first stops in the US for many great spiritual teachers has been the Center for Spiritual Studies, a nonprofit Sridhar founded. Sridhar’s mission for everyone he meets or influences is to provide assistance to go deeper into sadhana (or spiritual practice)—even if it requires a dose of tough love.

We asked Sridhar to share three books he finds meaningful on his own spiritual journey.

A Path to God: Living the Bhagavad Gita by Ram Dass

A Path to God is a fascinating series of reflections, anecdotes, and exercises that traces the journey of consciousness as it is revealed in the most sacred text of all: the Bhagavad Gita. The teachings in the Gita provide a good road map to experiencing Divinity in our everyday life. In A Path to God, Ram Dass brings this system to light for a Western audience by translating the Gita‘s principles into a manual about yoga in contemporary life.

Ram Dass actually wrote this book while in Joshua Tree. In these pages, he teaches in a conversational style as if he were talking directly to you, illuminating the liberating power of the Gita with wisdom, humor, and great compassion. I personally can never get enough of Ram Dass, even after knowing him for 40 years.

Shri Sai Satcharitra: The Life and Teachings of Shirdi Sai Baba by Govind R. Dabholkar

This is the first and foremost book based on Shirdi Sai Baba’s life; he was one of the greatest spiritual teachers that ever lived. Shirdi Sai Baba was a Muslim, a Hindu, a Jain, and a Christian. Originally, this book was composed in the Marathi language—a poetic verse. It was written during Sai Baba’s lifetime and had his blessings. This is a rare book. The spiritual essence contained in all the scriptures is exhibited in his life story.

The Life and Teachings is not an easy read. It’s nearly one thousand pages are very full, although someone who is dedicated to doing sadhana would benefit from reading books that illuminate the lives and teachings of these Masters. I’ve been working on this book for a long time and I hope I can finish it in this lifetime.

Namarupa’s Special Edition Dedicated to Shyamdas

I keep Namarupa by my bedside because I love what they are doing in the few issues they publish every year. They knew the greatness of Shyamdas and captured his essence in this special homage. I want to be reminded of Shyam everyday so I keep this next to me. The dialogue with his guru in the Ocean of Grace is a beautiful story. I like the sweet excerpt “Nama & Rupa” by Shyamdas’ student and friend Vallabhdas. I also like to read Shyam’s writings, including his brilliant interpretation of Rasakhan, a gay Muslim in a Hindu society. Shyam picked out stories that not everyone understands but deals with. He was a rare person.

Bhakti Fest

Sridhar Silberfein is the founder of Bhakti Fest. For more information about Bhakti Fest, visit: Bhaktifest.com.

Learn about the Founding of Bhakti Fest

Read the behind-the-scenes story of Bhakti Fest Founder Sridhar Silberfein on LA YOGA.

Stay Informed & Inspired

Stay informed and inspired with the best of the week in Los Angeles, etc. and more ...

Stay informed & Inspired

Stay Informed & Inspired

Stay informed and inspired with the best of the week in Los Angeles, etc. and more ...

Stay informed & Inspired