Flower Child Santa Monica

Another “green” eatery graces Los Angeles? Bring it! I say—and many seem to agree: Flower Child Santa Monica was busy when I visited on a recent May Sunday. Vegan, vegetarian, and gluten-free dishes made with locally sourced ingredients fit perfectly into the image of a health-obsessed LA.

Owned by Fox Restaurant Concepts, the group behind True Food Kitchen, Flower Child is located in what was once part of a larger Laemmle theatre (The theatre still stands next door, although smaller). The now split-level casual restaurant offers loft dining overlooking a ground level adorned with orbital light fittings, a colorful peace sign mural, banquettes, and tables topped with a single daisy. There’s a to-go counter, as well as bar and sidewalk seating.

The beautiful open kitchen invites customers to place orders counter-side from a menu comprised of salads ($9.25), bowls ($10.25), whole grain wraps (from $10), mix ‘n’ match sides (one $4; two, $7; three, $9), and protein add-ons (from $4).  Much of this menu is made to order and then brought to your table. Take the delicious Indian spiced cauliflower, lightly fried in grape seed oil, colored yellow from turmeric, and sweetened with dates and almonds. Or the whole wheat, flax, and chia seed wraps, made every day in a grand pita oven. The Bird is the Word wrap ($12) packs grilled chicken, broccoli, jack pepper cheese, and charred peppers—with a bit of heat.

Organic wines by the glass, local beer, and kombucha on tap make up the drinks menu, along with seasonal lemonades, myriad iced teas (including decaf), loose leaf hot teas, and coffee. I recommend the cappuccino made with almond milk by Cali-based Califia Farms. Of the few but tasty desserts, you can’t go wrong with the gluten-free brownie or chocolate-chip cookie. I say just grab them both before settling your order.

Flower Child Santa Monica is located at 1332 2nd Street, Suite B, Santa Monica 310-382-2901, iamaflowerchild.com

Stay Informed & Inspired

Stay informed and inspired with the best of the week in Los Angeles, etc. and more ...

Stay informed & Inspired

Stay Informed & Inspired

Stay informed and inspired with the best of the week in Los Angeles, etc. and more ...

Stay informed & Inspired