Greenleaf is the latest restaurant to grace ever-evolving Abbott Kinney Boulevard in Venice Beach.

A casual corner spot with a customizable menu, good-for-you cocktails, and a sunny patio? Count me in! Owned by chef Jon Rollo (whose other half is Barry’s Boot Camp CEO Joey Gonzalez), this is the brand’s sixth opening in a portfolio that stretches from Costa Mesa to Century City.

Greenleaf Gourmet Chopshop, Venice California

The space occupies what used to be FEED Body & Soul. Walking in, you might recognize the large bar that anchors the dining room, yet the interior has been enlivened thanks to Jon’s designer touch – he sourced the eclectic lighting fixtures and Singer sewing machine stools from antique stores around Southern California. Everything on the menu is fresh, healthy, and organic, and most items can be tailored to individual diets. You can build your own salad or choose from specialty options like the brown rice-farro-quinoa West Coast Bowl. There are tacos, paninis, soups, and burgers, though perhaps the most indulgent of all is the brunch menu: French Toast with berries and agave is delicious, while the Protein Scramble – a mix that includes turkey bacon, mushrooms, and pico de gallo atop an egg white – will kickstart the day. Cocktails are infused with potent ingredients like activated charcoal (Greenleaf Mule) and bee pollen (The Bees Knees), and arrive beautifully presented with cuttings from the onsite chef’s garden. Who needs a cherry on top?

Greenleaf is set up for to-go orders, but with bar seating (there’s also a snack menu), cozy nooks, a beer and wine list, Portola coffee, and a range of locally made desserts — did I mention the patio?! – it’s a shame not to linger. This is a restaurant chain I’m in love with.

1239 Abbot Kinney, Venice, CA 90291
310-399-9400, greenleafchopshop.com
Photo by Tiffany Chien

Stay Informed & Inspired

Stay informed and inspired with the best of the week in Los Angeles, etc. and more ...

Stay informed & Inspired

Stay Informed & Inspired

Stay informed and inspired with the best of the week in Los Angeles, etc. and more ...

Stay informed & Inspired