Yonnus Becker, Photo: Jean Kim

The Sun Beckons To This Venice Local

On a beautiful autumn afternoon, the sun sparkled on the vibrant streets of the Venice thoroughfare, familiar faces wandered about as a feeling of calm permeated the air. The years have seen drifters and ramshackle huts give way to luxury homes and exotic boutiques as the ever-evolving Venice neighborhood has expanded its community, as it has done for decades, with its own unique style. As a Venice resident, I am grateful to be able to hop on my bike, smell the salt in the air and head down to my favorite local Yoga studio, Surya Yoga, owned by Yonnus Becker.

Surya is perched on a corner spot on the well-known roundabout of Windward Circle in the heart of downtown Venice. The atmosphere is different near the water, bustling with creative minds that walk along in speculation as the casual beachgoers carry on. As you approach the Yoga studio you can see why Yonnus Becker, owner of Studio Surya, claimed this spot. When the curtains are drawn it is a noticeably bright open space it feels like a studiothat represents the lifestyle of Yoga.

Surya is the Sanskrit word for Sun; it’s a name this warm and open studio richly deserves as it bathes you with a warm and open feeling.

A California native, Yonnus Becker’s personal journey began in a Hatha Yoga class when she lived in New York, where simple curiosity was to give way to a life’s passion for teaching. Before becoming a teacher she had a grocery list of unfulfilling jobs ranging from pumping gas to a painting contractor. When her practice began she found Yoga gave her a sense of healing and happiness that became more fulfilling as the connection with her practice grew. Yonnus began planning a move west to create a community-based studio that would be both intimate and affordable. Her choice of Venice was inspired in part by the sense of place experienced in many of New York’s boroughs. “New York is such an interwoven city with a strong sense of self. Venice makes sense after New York. Not only do I enjoy the fact that Venice is inhabited by interesting people with shared interests of aesthetics and lifestyle, I also enjoy being able to ride my bike, shop at the local farmers’ market, grab coffee at Groundworks and see familiar faces on the streets. Venice has a great community feel and that’s why I love it here.”

She wanted to create a studio that felt personal, fostering an environment of love and appreciation for practice and sangha (community), where people could chat before class and feel part of something special. Surya grounds itself in a heart-centered approach, making sure everyone gets to know each other at the beginning of each class. “We live in a difficult time and Yoga gives us an opportunity to remember what we are grateful for. It allows us to slow down, to be in the moment and embrace the quiet joy of knowing that we have everything we need to be joyful, radiant and alive and that the rest are the wondrous gifts of life,” she conveys.

“The life is what you have on the mat,” Yonnus said to me, forging an instantaneous connection with those words, a connection that continues to inspire my support. Yonnus’ genuine and glowing manner engages with her warm welcoming smile. She remembers cherished regulars and recognizes those walking into her class for the first time.

Yonnus’ philosophical approach effortlessly combines with a methodical attention to movement. Vinyasa flow and its grace inspires the studio’s classes. She explains her relationship to the practice, “As a water sign, I am naturally drawn to fluidity and this flow of movement, this dance within and without ourselves feels like a natural expression of our body. From a fitness standpoint, Vinyasa is beneficial for the body because the constant movement does not allow us to become joint dependent. Instead we must use our muscles. The movement produces synovial fluid adding in the health of our joints and mobility.”

Her descriptive teaching style keeps the fundamentals alive and does as much to educate as to heal. When she moves throughout her class she refers to our sankalpa (Sanskrit for intention) and is noticeably aware of our breath as she gently guides us to each pose. Yonnus explains how the intensity of a twist engages our solar plexus chakra, the chakra of willpower, sense of self and our body’s transformation of energy into matter. Her spoken word invites us closer as she proceeds; her enlightened undertones are openly conveyed in the words she chooses.

In the low hum of savasana, our eyes drift close while Yonnus’ tones soften. She reminds us all she is grateful for in this practice and above all, her feeling of gratitude for sharing this community with us within this small space. “When we stop reaching for what we believe makes us happy, If we let go of the illusion of thinking happiness comes from something outside of ourselves, that is when we experience heaven on earth,” Yonnus whispers and I can’t help but feel grateful for this brief time in this place with her. Yonnus Becker is the owner and one of the teachers at Studio Surya Yoga in Venice: studiosuryayoga.com.

Stay Informed & Inspired

Stay informed and inspired with the best of the week in Los Angeles, etc. and more ...

Stay informed & Inspired

Stay Informed & Inspired

Stay informed and inspired with the best of the week in Los Angeles, etc. and more ...

Stay informed & Inspired