I will never forget the first time I met Enrique Iglesias. His manager, Fernando, introduced us when I was working for The Firm, one of the most powerful management agencies in Hollywood. Enrique’s good looks and charm took my breath away when he immediately turned around and hugged me. He was one of our clients and we were about to release his new album. I was excited to be on his management team helping to oversee his US radio campaign.
The time I spent working with Enrique was some of the most fun of my career so far. Together, Fernando and Enrique were beyond hilarious and they were the biggest pranksters I’ve ever met. I spent several overnight plane flights with them, sleeping with one eye open with my cell phone under lock and key. You can never be too careful when they are around! I have some classic stories about working with him and still find myself laughing at the memories.
Global Superstar Enrique Iglesias
Enrique is a global superstar, having sold more than 100 million albums worldwide. He is a multi-platinum selling artist in almost every country. In the U.S., he has a total of 69 #1 songs including 24 #1 singles on the Billboard Latin Songs Chart and 11 #1 singles on the Dance Club Chart. This rating beat out Michael Jackson for the most #1 singles on the Dance chart in Billboard history.
The Health and Fitness Lifestyle
Enrique lives an active lifestyle and loves playing sports, surfing, and swimming in the ocean. (He conveniently has a house in Miami.) Enrique told me, “I actually don’t have a specific routine. I mostly do push-ups and bench presses when I am at home. When I am on the road, I go to the gym to exercise. My shows are very active and provide a lot of cardio exercise.”
Enrique adds, “The main thing I believe in is eating healthy and playing sports to be active. Do something you enjoy, even a swim in the ocean.” I know his favorite food is spaghetti with bolognese sauce. It’s filling and packed with nutrients, especially this vegetarian version.
Enrique’s Vegetarian Spaghetti Bolognese
- 6 ounces whole wheat spaghetti or spaghetti squash, if desired
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 3 onions, diced
- 1 red pepper, chopped
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 4 baby carrots, grated
- 3 cups mushrooms, chopped
- 8 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 2 cups cooked brown lentils
- 1 teaspoon tamari
- 3 tablespoons chopped parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano (or 2 teaspoons fresh)
- 1/4 teaspoon dried basil (or 2 teaspoons fresh)
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 cup tofu, cubed
- 1 teaspoon extra tamari or 1/2 teaspoon vegetable salt
- 3/4 cup almonds, chopped
- Cook the spaghetti or the spaghetti squash.
- Heat the oil in a large nonstick pan. Add the garlic and onions and sauté, stirring for three-four minutes. Then add the red and green pepper, mushrooms, and carrots and sauté for three-four minutes. Next add the tomatoes, brown lentils, tamari, parsley, and herbs and cook for five minutes until heated. Sprinkle a little tamari on the tofu squares and heat the extra two teaspoons of oil in a separate (preferably non-stick) pan. Lightly sauté the tofu squares until they are lightly colored on each side.
- Drain the spaghetti and distribute on a plate. Pour the sauce over the spaghetti, scatter the tofu on top, and sprinkle with the chopped almonds.
Being one of the biggest superstars in the world (I’ve seen it first hand, his fans go crazy!), Enrique continues to deliver a quality product. In order to do this, he stays at the top of his game. “I think it’s most important to stay healthy for your own well-being and peace of mind,” he says. “You just feel better.”
Be sure and pick up his single, “Heart Attack” on iTunes.
For more information visit EnriqueIglesias.com.