We all have our own personal playlist to the soundtrack in our lives. Someone who is both one of my favorite artists as well as a contributor of several singles to my soundtrack is rock ‘n roll legend Melissa Etheridge.
When I began my career in the music business, I was just out of college and living in New York City. One of the first artists I had the honor to work with was Melissa. Throughout her career, she has won an Academy Award, numerous Grammys, and has sold millions of albums. Some of my favorite songs by Melissa include: “Come to My Window,” “Bring Me Some Water,” “Similar Features,” and “I’m The Only One.” From her latest album, 4th Street Feeling, I love “Disaster” and “Fallen Up.”
Whenever Melissa and I are together, we trade healthy secrets; we’ve also learned that we both love yoga and hiking—my favorite combo. While on tour, Melissa maintains a gluten-, dairy-, and sugar-free diet and takes time on a regular basis for her yoga practice. She shared with us some of her favorite yoga poses and why they hold a special place in her practice.
1. Tree: I love finding my balance. It can apply to everything in my life.
2. Down Dog: Simple, yes, but it works every part of my body in one pose.
3. Pigeon: If I can do this, I can do anything.
4. Half Lord of The Fishes: I love the feeling it gives me in my spine.
5. Pranayama: Understanding my breathing is extremely important to me.
Vegan Chocolate Mousse
This dairy and gluten-free recipe is easy to make and one of Melissa’s favorites:
1 avocado (soft and ripe)
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/4 cup cocoa powder
1/4 cup Grade B maple syrup
6 tablespoons milk (coconut, almond or any preferred milk)
1. Cut avocado in half and remove pit. Scoop out flesh and put it in in the blender along with remaining ingredients.
2. Process until smooth, occasionally scraping down sides. Serve immediately or refrigerate until you’re ready to serve.
Lori Rischer is a veteran music business executive, the KIIS-FM health & fitness spokesperson, and yoga instructor. Rockstar Health & Fitness shares the healthy secrets of celebrities. Check out her weekly blog at: KIISFM.com keyword “Rockstar” or: LoriRischer.com
Lori Rischer is a music business promotion and marketing executive. In addition, she is the health & fitness spokesperson for KIIS-FM, a yoga teacher and certified yoga therapist. Rockstar Health & Fitness shares the healthy secrets of celebrities. Check out her blog at KIISFM.com keyword Rockstar or LoriRischer.com and listen to her workout playlist on icHeartRadio iheart.com/original/Rockstar-Health-Fitness.