We’ve all had those moments when we spend too much time sitting and not enough time moving or on our feet. Cross-training for peak performance takes focus detail but it can also be fun and easy with this pilates workout!
Walking with strength and a spring in our step requires some attention to working out our butt and thighs. Crank up some of your favorite tunes to make your workout fun.
Your Pilates Workout
Works: Lower Body
- Stand up tall and align your heels just outside of your hip bones.
- Pretend you are going to sit in a chair as you lower deep into your squat.
- Keep the chest lifted and back straight.
- Push through your heels and squeeze your glutes to stand up.
- Repeat 15 times.
Works: Calves, Hamstrings, Gluteus
- Lay on your back with arms resting by your side.
- Lift your pelvis in the air so you are in bridge position with your upper back and your heels connected to the floor or mat.
- Lower your butt to the mat and then exhale and press your pelvis as high as you can. At the top of the position, squeeze your glutes as tight as possible.
- Repeat 15 times.
Single Leg Bridge
- Begin in bridge with your upper back on the mat, hands relaxed and outstretched toward your hips, pelvis and glutes up in the air, knees bent, and feet flat.
- Lift your left leg into the air so that it is perpendicular to the mat (or approximately perpendicular, depending on your body), toes pointed.
- Lift your glutes up, keeping the leg lifted. Then go back down.
- Repeat 10 times on each leg.
Single Leg Circles
Works: Abs, Transverse Abdominals
- Lay on your back and lift one leg up straight into the air, keeping the ankle, knee, and hip aligned.
- Draw a large circle with your leg and bring it back to the start. Keep your low back pressed into the mat.
- If you experience any discomfort in the hips or low back draw smaller circles.
- Repeat 10 circles on each leg.
Works: Inner Thighs, Outer Thighs, Lower Abdominal Muscles
- Lay on your back and place both hands in a triangle right underneath your tailbone for support with your head resting on the mat.
- Lift your legs straight up to the sky (to your ability) with toes pointed.
- Inhale and move your legs wide apart; then exhale and bring them back up with your ankles crossed.
- Repeat 20 times.