Cribbing It in Ojai

Meditation Mount

I was a Crib virgin before October. As a part-time yoga instructor in Carpinteria, I had heard from friends and students the wonders of the Crib. For those not in the know, Kira Ryder and the Ojai Yoga Crib crew at host studio Lulu Bhanda’s offer two-and-a-half hour classes with fourteen top-notch teachers over a three-day event at venues scattered around the magical Ojai valley. The weekend includes classes, a dharma talk, morning meditation practices, Saturday night dance and kirtan and communal meals. Why call it a Crib? The name conveys the idea of a safe, nurturing place in which to play and practice with friends and fellow yogis/yoginis. Nestled in the arms of the oak, sage, chaparral and lavender-filled Los Padres National Forest, the valley cradles the event in a crib-like way to nurture, grow and support practice.

My first class was in the Soul Centered Dome with Florida-based Laura Tyree, in a sweetly humorous and heartfelt practice focusing on the heart, reminding us of our need to grow at our own time and nourish the seed deep within our heart. Tyree emphasized the importance of mudra (gestures) to drawing pranic energy into the heart and treated us to her melodic voice, complete with encore.

On Friday evening, we hung with Erich Schiffmann for a dharma talk: The Big Picture, where he reminded us that although there are many approaches to yoga, the practice is about merging with supreme consciousness. Life is not the enemy and we need to relax more, become less tense, less fearful and more willing to trust. Meditating, quieting the mind and paying attention to experience will help us with life’s decisions, inspire creativity and allow us to operate on a more conscious yogic level where truth is reality.

The Saturday Anadan Ritam kirtan provided an evening of soulful chanting, dancing and bhakti with Saul David Raye, Tony Khalife, Matthew Hufsschmidt and Sean Johnson. Prior to the kirtan, I enjoyed Revital Carroll’s Odissi Dance, particularly after attending her class. I appreciated her divine beauty and vibrant liveliness. I left with a sweet sense of bliss from the music, chanting and the morsel of dark chocolate given to all.

Beth Thomas, Denise Zaverdes, Felicia Tomasko

My weekend ended with Dana Flynn, Co-Creator of Laughing Lotus Yoga Centers in NYC and San Francisco. Flynn taught a mind-blowing, heart-expanding class, integrating vinyasa and Shiva-style movements to soulful music. Her unique and innovative sequencing made us feel alive and encouraged freedom. As I journeyed home, I felt truly complete looking forward to next year.

More of Beth’s Highlights…

• Erich Schiffmann’s gentle, loving yoga practice at the stunning Meditation Mount and yoga beneath high arching wooden beams in front of glass-walled windows with a spectacular, panoramic view of the Ojai Valley. He emphasized getting the body in proper alignment and used words like “wobble” and “snuggle” to evoke comfort.
  • Chanting the prayer for protection, “Om Namo Arya Tara” during Scott Blossom’s class. Blossom translated this chant as “I bow to the name of the Protectress of Harmony.” Scott weaved it throughout his prana-filled asana bringing fulfilling, juicy warmth to our souls.
  • Dancing in Revital Carroll’s morning devotional Odissi class before watching her perform in full costume in the evening. Although this dance form that originated in the Tantric temples of Ancient India is challenging, it inspires grace, joy and inner strength.
  • Mingling in the garden of Bhavantu and Lulu Bandha’s where I had an uplifting Tarot reading by Holly Adams-Matthews, an interesting African elemental stone and shell divination by Mtuaswa (Anthony Johnson), learned to make Malas with Ghan-ji (Michael Stillman, who I had previously met fly fishing in Montana) and had a blissful, sacred anointing by Allison Stillman.
  • Enjoying the delicious Farmer and the Cook fare at Crib Headquarters with fellow yoga practitioners. ojaiyogacrib.com; Virtual Crib at LuluVu.
Beth Thomas is a writer with a Masters in Communications, who enjoys teaching yoga and aqua aerobics, and loves living in Carpinteria. beththomas2002@yahoo.com
By Beth Thomas

Stay Informed & Inspired

Stay informed and inspired with the best of the week in Los Angeles, etc. and more ...

Stay informed & Inspired

Stay Informed & Inspired

Stay informed and inspired with the best of the week in Los Angeles, etc. and more ...

Stay informed & Inspired