Ashley Shubert in a warrior pose variation

Ashley Shubert photographed by David Young-Wolff. Clothing by K-Deer

Yoga Teacher Ashley Shubert shares her inspiration and a motivational playlist.

Why did you attend your first yoga class?

My mom was really connecting in her yoga practice and wanted to share it with me. At the time, I was 12 and didn’t really understand the concept nor could I keep my mind or body still enough to finish a full class but I definitely wanted to make her happy. Boy, was I in for a ride!

Who are some of your mentors? 

Kumi Yogini was a huge inspiration into developing my practice and I was lucky enough to have her guide my first 200 hour teacher training. She has so much knowledge and is an incredible leader in the Krshna Community.

Govind Das of Bhakti Yoga Shala was a great mentor of mine. He is always very calm and collected and has such a divine grace about him. He comes from pure light, pure heart in a way that leaves you always wanting to learn more about yourself and your devotion to this practice.
Who or what are some of your influences when teaching?

I am huge on energy. I believe that I can feel the tone when I walk into the room and as a teacher I think it’s essential to gauge what is in front of me. For years, I walked in with a plan and sometimes it’s better to open my eyes and just serve my students.

I honor traditional practices, language, and technique of the ancient teachings, and I focus on making it modern and applicable to what is affecting people here and now. I try to bring timeless pieces of wisdom into the space in a way that makes sense with our current states, psyches, trials, and tribulations.

Will you share a playlist that inspires you?

Yearning – DJ Drez
Kabir 2 – Trevor Hall
Painting Greys – Emmit Fenn
Swarm – Boogrov
Lonely Lullabies – Kweku Collins
tbh ily – Chet Porter
Blue Willow Beats
Realla – Tokimonsta
Fall Underneath – Snakadaktal
Closer – Majik
You – Kyson
Any Other Name – Thomas Newman

Yoga Teacher Ashley Shubert

Ashley Shubert Photographed by David Young-Wolff wearing clothing by K-Deer.

What keeps you interested in teaching yoga?

It fills me up. I never know what I’m going to walk into when teaching a class, it’s the most rewarding experience time and time again. Yes, sometimes it can be challenging, but there is often just that one person in the room that I am showing up for.

What is your current go-to practice? 

Although I have many different places I go, CorePower Yoga has been my love since I began a disciplined practice. The combination of the heat and the environment has always brought me back home.

Ashley Shubert is wearing clothing by K-Deer. Photographs by David Young-Wolff.

Ashley teaches at Equinox Westwood Tue/Thu 6am, CorePower Yoga Brentwood Mon 6am, Mon/Tue 7:15pm, Sun 9am, Playlist West Hollywood Wed/Fri 6am and 7:15am, and at Kinetic Body in Brentwood Tue/Thu 7:30am. View her schedule online and learn more at: ashleyshubert.com.

Stay Informed & Inspired

Stay informed and inspired with the best of the week in Los Angeles, etc. and more ...

Stay informed & Inspired

Stay Informed & Inspired

Stay informed and inspired with the best of the week in Los Angeles, etc. and more ...

Stay informed & Inspired